[ODE] On torque ..

Sergey Kurdakov k15c20 at zelmail.ru
Sat May 8 03:52:28 MST 2004

Hello,

actually it is deep night here :)  so hope  tomorrow my reply will have more sence :)

as for  quick reply  - as far as I remember - it is not OK to use Euler angles as difference as they are dependant..
but rather it is OK to use quaternions - no deatils now :) but  - at least that is why it is easier to make slerp of quaternions in
animation than interpolate angles....

and  it is possible to get quaternion from one direction to another so then things  go better.

so if to continue on susggestion with angular vel  instead of computing angular vel  you may use quaternion vel - how -
maybe will wirte in more details tomorrow but

see article how quaternions could be used  when a torque is applied here http://www.npsnet.org/~zyda/pubs/Presence.1.4.pdf eq
8.11.

this then could be used for controller... I think for the beginnng you could set the following - compute desired quaternion vel with
some slow down at the end... - I would just develop a function 'desiredvel' which will use some heuristics to compute current
desired angular rotation ( quat vel) out of desired time and differences - then apply maybe just proportinal conroller with
feedback - such as your torque  is proportional to differense of desired vel and current vel... then if this works then you could
move to PID :)

again hope that tomorrow I have a better time to reply in details :)

Regards
Sergey