[ODE] Tokamak and Netwon Game Dynamics

gl gl at ntlworld.com
Thu May 6 09:07:48 MST 2004

Found this on the Newton forum
(http://www.physicsengine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139):

"Newton solver may not be as fast as others engines that have an iterative
linear time solver but trade acuracy for speed. This does not means that
Newton is slow. newton is fast enought to simulate several hundred rigid
bodies colliding with a arbitrarilly complex terrain in realtime, or stacks
of 30 to 40 bodies, no just simple stacks but arbitrary configutations.
Newton solver goes for acuracy rather than speed. The statistic order of the
newton solver is best case linear O(N), worst case quadratic O(N*N). on
average you get 0(N * log(N)). Where N is the number of restrited DOF. "

What I liked playing with one of the demos was that there seemed to be zero
visual interpenetration or spongieness - everything is totally rigid yet
stable.

Of course it's not open source, which is a major downside.  I'm also
wondering if they aren't planning to charge for the SDK once it's complete.
--
gl