[ODE] Pushing through collisions

Alen Ladavac alenl-ml at croteam.com
Sat May 1 10:08:14 MST 2004

> I've found the general area,
> but haven't had the time to study the constraing solvers in detail,
> and am looking for an accelerated start.

The problem is not in the solver, but in the way that constraint equation is
formulated. Even though the solvers can get _very_ complicated, the
equations are relatively easy to understand. Perhaps you will like to get
familiar with them to understand what is really going on.

Russ's "How to make new joints in ODE" is an excellent introduction into
what
is going on in an LCP formulated joint equation. (Regardless of whether you
are actually using ODE per se.)

> Also, my problem is not a temporary interpenetration, it's that by
> pushing up against the block, I become more and more embedded into
> the block; there's penetration all the time (I use ERP < 1).

Are you perhaps applying more and more force to it? In presence of non-zero
CFM, that would cause exactly the behavior you describe.

Alen