[ODE] Subtractive Geometry

Brian Bell bbell at legitimatefront.com
Wed Mar 31 14:01:04 MST 2004

Right.  You're correct; I was grossly oversimplifying the problem.  Still,
given that we're only really interested in supporting the standard geom
primitives (clearly mathematically defined shapes), it seems that if we
could develop/provide edge/corner generation logic (even if it was very slow
and pre-process oriented, ie., no dynamic motion of subtractive elements)
then this would be very doable, and seems like a worthwhile feature for the
future.

Certain types of game simulations could really benefit from a model like
this, for example, the old non-digital games where you had to roll a ball
around a maze and into a hole.  It seems to me that this is MUCH better
modeled as a cylindrical subtraction from a box, rather than making the
field out of multiple boxes and leaving a gap, especially since you have to
deal with all the potential issues where the boxes meet up.

Brian