[ODE] Simple character control

Adam Paul Coates acoates at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 30 12:32:43 MST 2004

Actually, on a side note:

Does anyone remember Thomas Jacobsen's GDC article (2002?) about cloth and
character animation (from Hitman I think...) using that odd Verlet
integrator?  On its own, it's wickedly easy to combine it with keyframe
animation, but it might be possible to link it up with ODE.  Since the
geometric bodies wouldn't have an ODE Body associated with them, I think
you'd have to do a bit of hacking to make the collision forces work out
for dynamic objects, but when colliding against a static environment you
should be able to take the output from ODEs collision code (contact point
and penetration depth) and dump it straight into the character and cloth
animation and have your characters, etc. behave pretty reasonably.

This doesn't solve the problem of "set position/orientation" issues in
ODE, but will give you decent physics-oriented character animation which
behaves nicely with solid objects.  I think the problem is less severe
since now you're not screwing up ODEs physical state (the dBody) and
instead managing it on your own.  Again, contact forces would probably
have to be a total kludge... not sure how easy or hard that is.

Just a thought.

Regards,
Adam C.