[ODE] orientation in ODe

Hannes Norda norda at customred.com
Tue Mar 30 09:07:54 MST 2004

Well actually I am a bit confused. I have read about ODE not having
"handedness" and I do not convert my data when I build my geoms. I build
trimesh geoms with data directly from my vertex/indexbuffers and
everything simulates just fine. Gravity in my world is (0, -gravity, 0).
What I DO convert is matrices (as written in
http://q12.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FrequentlyAskedQuestions) I get from
geoms for rendering. I supposed ODE computed normals internally for
collisions etc, but I thought these would match the data I sent in, in
my coordinatesystem...

Well, anyway, I mainly wanted to check if I collided with a face
pointing up or down. Putting the collision-normals z-component in the
y-component of the vector and dotting that with the negative nomalized
gravity vector gave me correct results...

I guess I am just doing something wrong, I didnt look too much into it
yesterday and now it's pre-morningcoffee-time for me here, so I might
just be confused here... Thanks for the reply!

Hannes Norda
Custom Red Software Studios
norda at customred.com