[ODE] Generic springs for soft body dynamics

Rob Ruck bobruck at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 21 11:52:10 MST 2004

ball/socket joints are about the only ones that don't have some level of
springiness. The hinge & universal joints have a bounciness factor, which
might be all you need.

Otherwise, you can write your own spring constraint, seriously, it isn't very
hard. I did a spring system (source code lost, or i'd send you it) for a cloth
demo in a few hours, and I had barely started using ODE. There are loads of
spring examples on the net that measure the distance between the two
objects and apply forces to try and keep that distance. You will probably find,
that a homemade one will also be faster, as it will not need to process
anywhere near as much (I had a contraint density of 10x10 for my cloth demo,
and that ran at 60+ fps, without any proper optimisations).