[ODE] Car simulation (with no wheels) - clever ideas needed

DjArcas DjArcas at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 19 22:54:21 MST 2004

> First of all, for 200 cars, not all of them will be on screen and not
> all of them will be in the foreground. Therefore you need some sort of
> level of detail, not only for the graphics but for the physics and
> collision as well. Far away cars can be modelled as a box, closer cars
> have more appropriate physics, and the player's car must have perfect
> physics at all times.

I guess a picture speaks a thousand words here:

http://www.sawkins.com/pg/new/MegaSprint_Screen.png

> Secondly, investigate ODE's spaces. You put the whole car in a space,
> then subdivide the car into smaller spaces. You don't need to test every
> object all the time, test to see if any two AABBs collide, and if so,
> work your way in to more and more detail.

Hmm, interesting. There's a way of using 'bubbles' of collision that might
well help.

> Thirdly, use StepFast1 as much as you can, and take advantage of its
> assumptions. It's not perfect, but it certainly is fast.

I've had nothing but problems with stepfast1 so far *grins*

> Other than that, James Golding's idea is very good. Karma is a bit more
> optimised than ODE, which is why it costs a lot more, but the principles
> are the same.

*nods*
I've used Karma fairly extensively, before we rebranded it RenderwarePhysics
(and made it better :) - it really is very similar.

> BTW, why is your car routine so slow? AI? Complex graphics?

Sheer weight of numbers *grins*