[ODE] Implementing new friction models

Amund Børsand amund at offroad.no
Mon Mar 15 21:04:14 MST 2004

Is there an easy way to do it, into ODE's internal structure? I'm
thinking about Pajecka and the likes, for tyre friction. My best idea so
far has been to set normal friction coefficients to 0 and let the ODE
collision system/contact joints to carry the weight if the object, and
then calculating what forces are pushing in different direction and
applying these back to the objects in question. But this will get very
dirty when my tires hit multiple objects at the same time, which they
will, as I am trying to make an offroad biased vehicle simulator.

How are the current friction models implemented, how do they "know" what
angles the surfaces in question have and so on? I guess I should look
into the ODE sources myself, could you point me in the right
direction/right source file? I have very little knowledge of the ODE
internals so far.

--
Amund Børsand <amund £ offroad . no>