[ODE] Performance Problem

marko at vienup.de marko at vienup.de
Mon Mar 15 20:30:01 MST 2004

Hi,
i am using version 0.039 of ode. I created a world
with 19 RigidBody / Geom Objects and a plane for the ground.
I used 18 Hinge Joints ( I attached an AMotor to each Hinge separately
!)
and 6 Fixed Joints to connect the bodys.
I use worldStep() at the moment. My Geoms are all in one Hash Space.
For the collision detection I call dSpaceCollide().
There is a maximum of 24 contact joints.

On my PC (P4 @ 3GHz) the worldstep and the collision detection uses
~0.18s (~0.09 for the worldstep and ~0.09s for the collision detection )
(!).
Although my setup is not very optimal because of only one Space,
worldStep() instead of worldStepFast() and a Hash Space instead of a
SpaceQuadTree,
I would think this is much to slow. I know it is not easy to say
something about this
problem without sources but perhaps you can give me some tips of how to
increase performance.

Note:
I tested worldStepFast and replaced the hash space but with moderate
success.
The collision detection and the worldstep runs in one thread. The thread
can´t be blocked
and the priority is on normal. Can there be a problem with the seperat
AMotor to each Hinge ?

Thanks a lot !

Greetz
Marco