[ODE] XML ODE Data Interchange Format (revision 5)

William Denniss lists at omegadelta.net
Sun Mar 14 14:29:54 MST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 09:42, Jon Watte wrote:
> I would recommend that you allow the addition of more components.
> Thus, I'd suggest that you add a format="x,y,z" attribute to the
> "vertices" element, which is a comma-separated list of components,
> where the components x, y and z are currently well-defined, and others
> should be ignored. This means that a loader has to have slightly more
> smarts, in that it has to count how many numbers there are per vertex
> (>= 3) and remember which index corresponds to each of x, y and z for
> a vertex. However, it buys lots of flexibility.
>
> This is very useful for people who attach other things to their
> vertices, such as normals, friction, surface Id, etc.

Chris and Jon,

How does this sound then:

The default format is "x,y,z".  All variations of "x,y,z" MUST be
supported.  Extra elements can be added, but x, y and z are always
first.  Importers MUST take into consideration the extra elements, but
it is OPTIONAL to retain them (i.e. they can simply be dropped).

Will.

--
William Denniss - will@ http://tanksoftware.com/