[ODE] 3D rendering library to use with ODE

Megan Fox shalinor at circustent.us
Wed Mar 10 13:34:08 MST 2004

This is true, but if all you want a particularly simple / high-level rendering system for a project that has nothing to do with the development of rendering technology (say, evolving AI, as the case may be here - am I close?), there are many mature options that exist that'll do exactly what you need with a minimum of fuss.

OGRE (http://www.ogre3d.org/) comes to mind as a possible choice, as does Crystal Space 3D (http://crystal.sourceforge.net/tikiwiki/tiki-view_articles.php) - OGRE is more or less "just a simple rendering engine", which sounds like what you need, whereas Crystal Space is more of an all-around renderer + world files + editors + etc solution.  Crystal Space 3D might be a decent choice if you expect this project to extend beyond "a few robots rolling around on a flat plane hitting walls," otherwise, OGRE will probably do what you need.

(mind, of course, I am horribly biased against Crystal Space 3D, and find Nebula Device 2 http://nebuladevice.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/twiki/view/Nebula/WebHome to be a far superior choice, but that's because I work with Neb2, and happen to really really like it - and it is -NOT- a better choice if you have no interest in learning what amounts to a very complex/powerful game engine with sparse documentation and no established world creation toolset)

-Megan Fox
Lead Developer, Elium Project (http://www.elium.tk)