[ODE] 3D rendering library to use with ODE

Luke Palmer luke at luqui.org
Wed Mar 10 12:06:53 MST 2004

German Viscuso writes:
> Hello everybody!
>
> I'm trying to build a 3d simulator where I have 10 robots, each one of them
> is just a textured cube with two lateral wheels (differential drive). I want
> to apply power to each wheel's motor (each wheel has it's independent motor)
> to move the robots over a field.
> For the physics I would like to use ODE but I'm not sure about the 3d
> rendering engine.
> Can you recomend one that is suitable for working with ODE?
> My requirements:
> I need it to be accesible (api) via a windows dll (cannot use static
> librarires) and I would like it to be high level (because I don't want to
> get mad with low level 3d rendering) (but I may be willing to learn a middle
> level api if it's good enough). I need to be able to set textures on
> rendered objetcs and change camera positions dinamically. And of course it
> must work smoothly with ODE. Also it would be nice if it had some kind of
> limited GUI support.

Well, I adore OpenGL.  In my varied experience with libraries of all
kinds, this is perhaps the best design for its domain that I have ever
seen.

On the other hand, it is probably too low level for you.  I've never
seen a tolerable high level graphics library, however.  They all make
you jam your software model into their "superior" framework.

For GUI stuff, try GLUI.  It's not beautiful, and it has a bug or two,
but it's extremely easy to use.

Luke