[ODE] ODE and Alife

John Ratcliff jratcliff at ageia.com
Thu Mar 4 09:51:30 MST 2004

Is there anyone on the list using ODE (or any physics engine for that
matter) to use Alife techniques to evolve complex vehicles and
behaviors?  I've seen one simple demo that just evolves a walker, but
I'm imagining something much more complex with many bodies and joints,
being driven by one or multiple engines (should be feasible so long as
the genotype can express it) and also handles a behavior system more
complex than 'can I move'.

If I had the bandwidth (and I don't right now) I would enjoy working on
a project like this myself.  I'm envisioning evolving highly complex
tinker-toy-esque objects composed of dozens of bodies and joints, with a
fairly sophisticated steering mechanism.