[ODE] Step fast issue?

Nate W coding at natew.com
Tue Mar 2 09:13:22 MST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, DjArcas wrote:

> How complex is complex? My entire island consists of 4 bodies (3 boxes and a
> sphere), connected with 3 ball joints, and each with a 2d plane joint on
> there. I guess I can try simplifying it, to see if it starts working, but
> surely it's not that complicated a structure?

My trebuchet works but my cars and walking machines don't.  I haven't
tried to narrow it down, but I think the problem gets worse with 'cycles'
that have forces in different directions, for example the wishbone
suspension gets pretty sloppy.  Stacks of objects and levers like the
trebuchet seem pretty good though.

> Failing that, the documentation hints at using Step for small islands,
> and StepFast for large ones. I can't quite see how I'd sort that out,
> tho, because as soon as my 'complex' ship touched a big pile of
> bricks, either the joints wouldn't work (using StepFast) or the frame
> rate will plummet (using Step)

My intuition says that would probably work OK until something tried to
pull the 'ships' components in different directions.  But testing will
give you more reliable information than my intuition. :-)

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA