[ODE] Step fast issue?

Amund Børsand amund at offroad.no
Tue Mar 2 00:32:12 MST 2004

I've had very little success with stepfast for some reason. I don't know
if this has anything to do with your problem, but you made me think of
it :)

I have my ODE GUI editor, "4link", and have built a few cars with it,
all of then with quite different suspension setups. Only similarities
are the dimensions and weights, all measure about two units wide, four
to five units long, and weigh between one and three units. However, they
all have parts weighing down to 1/100 unit. I don't know if this last
part is what screws it up, or if it's just the complexity, or if it has
something to do with ERP and CFM values, though I have tried adjusting
them as well... my cars only fall into a blob on the ground, the main
body (with no collision geometry) hanging about 1 unit below the ground,
while all the wheels make a lump above it. My rigid axles are also not
rigid anymore, just floating around between the wheels. I have tried up
to 100 iterations, making little difference.

I haven't seen any obvious explanations to why this shouldn't work, is
it because of my (too) wide range in mass and dimensions between objects,
or is it just too complex for stepfast?

Those interested can test it in my program, just load a car, choose
physics/world settings and then stepfast, apply and play the scene.

"DjArcas" <djarcas at hotmail.com> skreiv:

> I haven't managed to make any difference to this so far. I'm going to
> attempt to change the balljoints to hinge joints tonight, to see if that
> helps.
>
> Still no suggestions?
>
> Adam

Amund Børsand <amund £ offroad . no>