[ODE] Picking objects

Manohar B.S sciphilog at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 27 22:40:07 MST 2004

> I would like to be able to pick an object using the
> mouse,
> then to move it around in a realistic fashion (ie,
> objects
> connected to it must follow it, collisions must be
> performed,
> etc).

 I did it using spring-damper. I get very nasty
oscillations, some times due the instability the
system breaks. I was suggested to use 'Fuzzy
Spring-damper' by my colleague. I have to do that..

 At one time I had to control the position and
orientation of a long cylinder. I used three spring
dampers along the length of the cylinder. Due to
angular momentum I get angular oscillations. The
trick: I used sphere's inertia matrix for the
CCylinder, Oscillations came down. if position is the
only thing to controlled better reset the torques to
zero for each simulation step.

 Novodex physics SDK suggests Kinematic Actor.. yet to
be explored!!

 Bye
Manohar
Sc.CAIR.Bangalore