[ODE] Picking objects

Nate W coding at natew.com
Sun Jun 27 20:39:07 MST 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 parisy at labri.fr wrote:

> So, given an expected position P' for the picked object and its
> current position P, I suppose I can't just directly change its
> position to P' ? I suppose some very stiff spring and damper system
> between the mouse pointer (in P') and the controlled object (in P)
> would do the trick...

I use a spring-and-damper system for this in Juice and it works pretty
well.  The only drawback is that you can't really "set" the position of
the object you're hanging on to, you can only "pull" that object.  In
Juice, the pull force is proportional to the mass of the selected object,
but taking into account the objects connected with joints (not counting
contact joints) would probably be an improvement.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA