[ODE] Mixing WorldStep, QuickStep and/or StepFast

Gabriel Gambetta ggambett at artech.com.uy
Tue Jun 8 16:24:11 MST 2004

Is it possible / does it make sense mixing the precise-but-expensive
WorldStep with the approximate-but-fast methods?

What I'm thinking is a game, say with a 60Hz physics update, where good
framerates are more important than perfect accuracy. The idea would be
to do a WorldStep every 10 frames and do QuickStep or StepFast in the
frames in between, to keep the error from accumulating too much.

Note that this is purely speculative since physics aren't currently
having any performance effect in my prototype, and I'm fully aware one
shouldn't optimize prematurely, but the idea crossed my mind and I
wanted to ask :)

	--Gabriel