[ODE] Racing game settings (update)

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Fri Jul 30 05:50:27 MST 2004

> > Calculate a front vector for the wheel as:
> >    fDir1 = normalize( cross( wheelAxis, groundNormal ) )

> Sorry you misunderstand - I mean if I scale the slip parameter by the
> velocity.

Yeah, the velocity that makes sense (to me) is the linear
velocity of the wheel object itself, at its center.

> As slip/mu vary I can make it better but I've never
> found a particularly good mix for driveability, and certainly not
> managed to get it to do any nice handbrake turn sorta stuff!

> > Real cars don't drive straight. Especially not at the forces
> > and speeds that you'll cram into a typical arcade game. If you
> > want smoother, more game-like physics, I recommend the box
> > with four ray casts.

> Yes I realise this. Its a very small error but it is noticeable.

I'm starting to think that the problem is mostly in my
expectations with my model. I want the model to be physically
modeled, but behave like an arcade racer. If I keep courses,
speeds, forces, and everything to "normal" parameters, the car
drives reasonably well.

Also, the specific controls you add to it do a lot. I'm only
using arrow keys, and I had to work a bit on how to map controls
over time to actual steering/throttle values. Basically, I use a
very quick (100 ms) ramp-up, and a similarly quick ramp-down for
steering, but much slower ramp-down for throttle (unless you
down-arrow).

Anyway, the main source file and the executable for my toy buggy
is available at http://www.speakeasy.net/~hplus/carworld-040730.zip
if you want to take a look, although I doubt it's any better than
yours. After you run it, there will be a file called "car.twk"
which you can tweak parameters in, for example the default car is
not very high-powered.

Oh, and there's a reason the art is boxes with noise ;-)

Cheers,

			/ h+