[ODE] Racing game settings (update)

Alex Amsel alex at tunatech.com
Thu Jul 29 22:03:04 MST 2004

Spent my evenings on this now (another full time project during the
day... busy old me).

Got a half decent car set up now that plays quite nicely, but have a
few generally queries and notes for others.

The 0.04 slip2 doesn't work for me - to do with my masses/sizes? No
bother as I've found a good range of values. I'm not sure this is the
best tyre friction model (its ok, but not more than that) so may
check out the alternatives. Has anyone integrated another one into
ode yet?

When setting slip2 I have the option of using the angular vel of the
wheel or the vel of the chassis in the forward direction or the
overall vel of the chassis. I was guessing that (even allowing for
wheel slip) that I should use the angular vel of the wheel in the
axis2 direction, except I'm not sure how to calc linear or angular
vel in a particular axis (I mul'ed the vel and normalised axis2 axis
but that ain't right).

The only other real issue I had, and still have, is slight variations
in the front wheel direction cause slight steering issues when the
wheels should be straight. I did a lot of testing and tried a lot of
things, but ode can't seem to keep within a limit of 0 / my fixes
have the same problem. Some scenes are worse than others but I do get
the prob even on a flat floor. It looks like the motor on axis2 (with
a preset target vel and throttle-linked torque) is the problem. It is
less apparent with foot off the gas. Ideas?

Changing erp etc values didn't fix the problem tho maybe I just
didn't try the right values.

For those with problems of car tip etc - I've think I've got all
those sorted and even the suspension works nicely (handbrake gives
funny results!). I'm also lowering the mass and pushing down on the
car when relevant - had to do a couple of bodges due to the varied
environments - i.e. only push down if 2+ wheels on the ground and at
least one of the front wheels (otherwise it dropped to quickly on
ledges causing flips).

Perhaps we should create a document for ODE-implemented car physics
as there is so much different information often only relevant to
certain setups.

Alex Amsel
Tuna Technologies Ltd (Sheffield, UK)
PC/Console Game Development
Tel: +44 (0)114 266 2211  Mob: +44(0)7771 524 632