[ODE] executive toy

Michael Lacher michael.lacher at hlw.co.at
Wed Jul 28 17:56:40 MST 2004

James Arthur wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:00:33 +0200, Michael Lacher
> <michael.lacher at hlw.co.at> wrote:
>
>>James Arthur wrote:
>>
>>>Are the balls touching when they begin or are they slightly separated?
>>>

>>they are exactrly touching (ie: radius 0.5, spaced one unit apart).
>

> Try giving them either a tiny separation or making them a little squashy.

A little seperation helps to make ODE *not* explode, at the time of
impact:) but not for my problem, I figured out that my engine didn't
behave correctly when two objects with physics controllers on them
collided (so far i only had collisions of buggys with static terrain :) ).
The contacts got inserted by both controllers, which is not a big
problem in itself (except prformance wise), but they were inserted with
swapped normals. this resulted in the sticky behaviour.

Now the balls behave realistically, although it is hard to get the
simulation to look "correct": Even with slightly soft contacts the
middle balls quickly start moving with the rest, and the energy
disperses ... but I am sure I can get this to work with a little more
fiddling with the params.

Thanks for the help to all of you
mucki