[ODE] Simple player representation

Mark Riedesel mriedesel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 11:48:49 MST 2004

I've been trying to come up with a reasonably useful, yet simple way,
to represent little player objects in ODE. Going through the archives
I noticed quite a few people using a single sphere, and either
applying forces or torques to move them around.

I'm curious if anyone has tried a model something like this:
http://dugnet.com/klown/pics/capsulesample.png

It works alright, the main problem is keeping the capsule on top from
just tipping over and having the whole thing fall on its side. I'm
currently using a ball joint inside the "foot" sphere..

I continually reset the rotation of the capsule body so it doesn't tip
over, but that results in it looking kind of screwed up (always
tipping over one direction). Would using some sort of motor be more
appropriate?

The other problem is how to handle occurances where a large force
whacks the little player object and it goes flying away, it will never
flip or roll.

I'm rather new to ODE, any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Riedesel