[ODE] Programmer request (car physics)

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Jul 26 23:31:31 MST 2004

Can't help on a paid basis, but here's what I've found:

1) You should lower the center of mass of the main body. This is done by lowering the entire body, and raising the collision geom (maybe using a GeomTransform). Lower it so the center is just above the ground for that ground-hugging feel. Make sure it's still POSSIBLE to flip the car, though :-)

2) You want sideways slip, something like Slip2 = 0.004 * v, in your contacts. If not, then you'll easily roll the car.

3) You want the Approx contact friction model, because the other model just limits the force exerted, rather than calculating something based on actual contact force.

That being said, the behavior of the kind of car I've been able to make with a Hinge2 and a sphere for each wheel, and a box for the body, is still pretty beach-buggy-like, rather than race car; even on flat ground. I've had better success simulating cars with a box and four rays in the past.

Cheers,

			/ h+