[ODE] Neophyte spring mass question

robert.leclerc at yale.edu robert.leclerc at yale.edu
Mon Jul 26 21:53:44 MST 2004

I am trying to implement a simple particle spring mass system. I don't
have much experience with the mathematics or the numerical techniques.

I started out using simple euler integration based on some source code
I found. It uses high daminping and saturation functions to minimize
instability. I created a box made of spring with springs on the faces
and dropped it to test it. For small forces it seemed to perform fine
but when I dropped it from higher positions I noticed it became
unstable.

Now I figure I either need to run this through a 4th order Runge Kutta
solver or use ODE.

1) Would ODE be too heavy weight for something like this since I am
(*at the moment*) only using particles for the masses. Would ODE be
faster?

2) If I did implement this in ODE do I just implement the masses as
simple spheres and then apply the particular forces (given by my
springs) to their attached bodies on each update step? The reason I am
asking this is that when I looked over the updtate step with 4th order
RK code the algorithm itself made several calls (finding k1-k4) to
find the force exerted by the spring. Thus if I simply apply a force
to the bodies on each time step this will be untable?

Thanks
Rob Leclerc

Rob Leclerc
Yale University