[ODE] (Newbie question) Getting started with ODE and VS.NET

Duncan Frostick duncanf at f2s.com
Thu Jul 22 15:26:58 MST 2004

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to serious Visual C++ (I know C/C++ reasonably well and
have done some simple linux based console apps for fun, but this is my
first trip into windows coding outside of basic Win32 API stuff), and to
ODE, and I'm utterly lost. I simply can't get anything to build with ODE.

I was fine compiling v0.35 with a windows version of make, but had no
success with v0.5 within MSVS.NET itself (even with the contributed
msvs7 projects and stuff) so I downloaded the pre-built version for MSVS
to save frustration. But when I try to compile some example code, I just
get a host of linker errors for pretty much every function call. I've
added the include directory and lib directory into the settings for VS,
and I've tried adding directories to the linker settings, and I've tried
having the ODE project and one of my little projects in the same
solution... but whatever I do - I get pages of this:

Compiling...
test_boxstack.cpp
Linking...
test_boxstack.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void
__cdecl dsSetColorAlpha(float,float,float,float)"
(?dsSetColorAlpha@@$$J0YAXMMMM at Z)
test_boxstack.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void
__cdecl dRSetIdentity(double * const)" (?dRSetIdentity@@$$J0YAXQAN at Z)
test_boxstack.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void
__cdecl dGeomGetAABB(struct dxGeom *,double * const)"
(?dGeomGetAABB@@$$J0YAXPAUdxGeom@@QAN at Z)
test_boxstack.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "struct
dxGeom * __cdecl dGeomTransformGetGeom(struct dxGeom *)"
(?dGeomTransformGetGeom@@$$J0YAPAUdxGeom@@PAU1@@Z)

And so on...

I know I'm missing something obvious, I know I'm going to kick myself
when I realise what the problem is, thing is... I just have no idea
about Visual Studio and Visual C++ so if one of you could help me out
I'd be very VERY grateful! I'm just desparate to get past these errors
and start doing something fun!

Cheers, Duncan Frostick