[ODE] Combing setpos'ed "ghost" bodies with a rigid central core?Doable?

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Wed Jul 21 23:39:03 MST 2004

> but would it be practical for me
> to setpos bodies around IF those bodies were considered
> "ghosts" by the rest of the world?  (eg. they exist only as
> sensors to detect collision, never adding contact joints themselves)

Why would you use a body if you don't want to create joints for
them? Just create the dGeom and test against that, no body needed.

> My concern is that I'm not sure what sort of body position
> persistence is going on behind the scenes - how exactly the

You have the code; just read it! The answer is: not much. ODE
uses a forward Euler integrator, which needs no state other
than the publicly visible position and velocities.

The other alternative is to actually use bodies for the main
pieces of arms and legs, and apply forces in a "chase" mode to
drive them using forward kinematics. It can work pretty well;
especially if you use "predictive chase": looking at the
animation, where should the arm be two steps from now? Looking
at current angular/linear velocity, where will it be two steps
from now if nothing changes? Apply a force to make the
appropriate velocity change, clamped by whatever your max
acceptable force is.

Cheers,

			/ h+