[ODE] Picking objects

Bob Dowland Bob.Dowland at blue52.co.uk
Thu Jul 15 11:18:15 MST 2004

>  when you say follow the 'Proxy' at best => it means to 'Constrain' the physical object to the position of the proxy as in a joint (LCP).

Right yes or even just a plain vanilla set of equality constraints - LCP being mainly for the unilateral stuff eg contact and so forth.

But my point was not supposed to be about how to implement constraints - more about how to drive a robotic thing interactively - something that needs to be done quite carefully because simulated robots tend to explode and the real thing will either bash into things or just cut power (you hope) when your software starts making unreasonable demands.

At least one extra "object" or layer, if you like, between you (ie user input) and your mechanism, is a way to simplify matters. The state of the proxy at any time reflects user intention, the difference in state of proxy and state of mechanism is your "error" and the controller (dynamic, kinematic, whatever..) attempts to minimise that "error" - by moving.

>  When you say 'Clamp' acceleration and velociy it means you are playing with State params as per your 'taste'

Well, yes as per some set of (more or less arbitrary) criteria - call it a sanity check/override. If you understand your model it's often possible to derive operational limits and ranges. A silly example, a projectile falling under gravity against some form of air-resistence or whatever will have a "terminal velocity", any output far above that would signal some form of breakdown in the physics pipeline. A policy of clamping in this instance may well mean the difference between complete melt-down and a slight "glitch in the matrix".

> => in other words fuzzyfication.

possibly.

:)