Antwort: [ODE] About modifying some properties by hand (newbie question)

Michael.Rauh at eads.com Michael.Rauh at eads.com
Fri Jul 9 15:38:00 MST 2004

Setting the velocity directly can work (for the first glance at least).
However, you're still raping the physics engine ;)

Greets
Michael

I've read several messages about how it is not possible to set the position
of an object by hand. That would've been very useful when i try to
transform user input into the ODE physic world.

However, can i modify the velocity by hand, while still maintaining the
physical integrity? Or do i always have to apply forces?

If i can directly modify the velocity, then, knowing the timestep, and the
distance to the position i want the object to be then:
-I could modify the velocity so that the object will be in the desired
position in the next step.
-Let ODE calculate one step.
-Now i the object should be in the desired position. I set velocity to
zero.
I suppose i should modify the velocity after having set the acceleration to
0.

Would that work? If so, is there something special to the way ODE applies
to the velocity in order to calculate the new position, or will the
traditional...
   p2 = p1 + v (t2 - t1)
   [p->position, v->velocity, t->time]
...formula work?