[ODE] Record and Playback

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Jan 29 08:22:31 MST 2004

> No - I'm not at all exaggerating.  In order to stay in lockstep, every
> computer would have to somehow tell all of the others that it's finished
> it's step.  Whilst the slowest machine may be running at 30Hz, the latency
> over the net could be as much as a second in a bad case.

That's not true. For example: The machines can keep a log, and use prediction, and when a machine receives a message intended for the past, the state is set back to the log and simulated forward to the present again. There are smarter, more flexible, even patented ways of approachting this problem, but it's getting pretty well understood by now.

Cheers,

			/ h+