[ODE] My ODE++

Roel van Dijk roelvandijk at home.nl
Thu Jan 8 19:57:56 MST 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 19:15, Jon Watte wrote:
> I've been having troubles getting my messages to show up on the list. I'm
> copying you in person; if you don't see it on the list, can you forward it?
It takes some time for messages to appear on the list. 15 minutes is not
unusual (at least for me).

> The approach I took was:
>
> - write very shallow, managed classes that wrap the IDs.
> - use dReal in all the interfaces (the current wrapper uses double)
> - use Microsoft.DirectX classes for vector, quaternion and matrix
>   This allows you to remove one copy if you use Direct3D, and it does not
> change the number of copies required otherwise -- although it does require
> Microsoft.DirectX being installed.
This is why wrappers shouldn't be included in the ODE distribution. There is
nothing wrong with DirectX except that I can't do anything with it in *nix.
ODE is supposed to be cross-platform. The demands for a wrapper will very
wildly per implementation. Everybody has his one code style, preferences,
design strategies and needs.

We could put some wrappers in the contrib directory. Just don't create a
'default' c++ wrapper. (I know that there already is one).