[ODE] ODE GUI Editor #2...

Roel van Dijk roelvandijk at home.nl
Sat Feb 28 12:29:08 MST 2004

On Saturday 28 February 2004 01:45, William Denniss wrote:
> Personally I am against having any loader with ODE.  I view ode much
> like OpenGL - a low level C API which you can either use raw, or some
> higher level API to extend it.  Just like geometry loaders for OpenGL
> belong in the high level layer, so should any type of ODE loader (hence
> why I am also against using C code as the model format).
I ran into this when I tried to write a loader for ODE. It is doable to save
all objects and joints and there relations to a file given just a dWorldID.
Something like:
void dWorldSave(dWorldID world, const char *filename);
But then you won't have the geoms. You could save geoms that are attached to
bodies, because the bodies have pointers to those geoms. But that way you
won't get the static geoms. So if you would want to save the whole simulation
then you would have to come up with a more complex function I think.
But if you are using wrapper classes for ODE then this method of saving is
pretty much useless, because you would only have the lowlevel ODE stuff and
not the wrapper objects themselves. So you would probably end up writing your
own loader/saver.

It could be usefull to define a number of XML tags and their relationships, so
you could use those tags in your own XML format (if you would choose XML).