[ODE] RE: ALLOCA

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Feb 26 11:01:23 MST 2004

> This is really beautiful. However, I wonder if the ## define stuff is
> compatible with all gcc, Visual C++ and other compilers we use.
> Shall I modify my patch to use this new facility before someone commit
> it to the CVS ?

I have no opinion on specifics, but it's one possible choice.
Note that the use of malloc() is still there -- I think there
are two orthogonal issues (for something as simple as wrapping
alloca()!)

1) how to wrap it:
a use a C++ wrapper allocator
b use FREEA()

2) how to allocate:
c use malloc()
d use a linear allocator
e combination

I think that if I did it, I'd end up with a/e, but any of the
combinations will work.

The ## token concatenation has been well supported in ANSI C
for at least the last 10 years. I use it daily on GCC3 and
MSVC6.

Cheers,

			/ h+