[ODE] GUI Editor, to XML or not?

Jani Laakso jani.laakso at itmill.com
Thu Feb 26 13:48:43 MST 2004

Frederic Marmond wrote:

> I do agree that XML is very open and so on...
> But:
> - to introduce a big overhead in file size
> - load/save time may be long (parser)

This is a possibility, hence XML->binary conversion is needed sometimes
even in development but usually on a release package.

> So, It would be nice to have a XML<->binary converter.

I'd say "one way" XML->binary is sufficient. Do you see enough usage for
binary->XML converter? I'd stick to XML when making development.

On a very large development user should divide one gigantic definition
file to smaller ones. Perhaps the editor could help a bit on this divide
and conquer task, but I leave this area for editor maker's to discuss.

I'd say the binary format is something that most release quality
products need, I have a feeling that most developers comes up with
somewhat different (!) solutions based on their needs on that particular
application.

So, I'd recommend editor makers to concentrate into XML as the main
"developer friendly" format and let application developers to worry
about their own binary formats. Developing XML->custom format should be
pretty straightforward.

Hope my comments are any good, Jani!

--
Jani Laakso / IT Mill Ltd | Tel. +358 40 5898086 | http://www.itmill.com