[ODE] GUI Editor, to XML or not?

Jani Laakso jani.laakso at itmill.com
Thu Feb 26 10:31:44 MST 2004

My opinion for an export goes still for XML, if you know basics of XML
(and XSL), you get things done very quickly. And in bonus, structures
tend to be well defined even when things later grow more complex.

For developers this would mean that everyone can then use XSL (like
xpath expressions) in any imaginable way to extract simulation parts or
modify simulation data before inserting it to my application.

Here's couple important points more imho:

1. Integration to custom applications
-I would not like to construct totally custom parsers from ground up to
read editor data into my application, I'd exploit existing XML tools
here (XSL, DOM or even SAX).

2. Transforming
-I would not like to programmatically convert one simulation format to
another, I'd use XSL here.
-Example, transform simulation X to simulation Y: increase all jeep cars
geoms mass by %12 and extract only basic simulation parameters + jeep
cars. I'd use XSL here than to create custom converters. Add lot's of
custom examples here.

3. Debugging
-problems are easier to solve, xml is easier to comphrehend

This format is meant for developers on development stage, so it should
be extensible and easy to use in all kind of situations. On production
platforms one can convert XML files into developer's own custom format
if needed.

A physics editor that is meant for constructing complex simulation
setups for ODE, Novodex.., I'd go for XML when exporting / importing
e.g. bodies definitions to / from a file. I do not know how similar
these two are but there could be possibility to do one XML
implementation for an physics editor and then use plain XSL to export
simulation data to ODE, Novodex.. users. It might be that this is not
suitable but author's of physics editors know this better than me.

The first impression for XML world can be quite disturbing, but once you
get into it and know where it's suited best, you'll love it. Learning
basic XML and XSL (+XSLT) is simple.

Summary, there exists this XML/XSL and bunch of other tools for various
platforms, let's exploit them :)

Comments are welcomed, Jani.

--
Jani Laakso / IT Mill Ltd | Tel. +358 40 5898086 | http://www.itmill.com