[ODE] ODE GUI Editor #2...

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Feb 25 22:00:32 MST 2004

Well, you need to read the text files as well as export them, for the
reasons mentioned earlier (manual or XML-automated editing of many similar
items).

Maya does this right, IMHO, with their .ma ASCII and .mb binary files.  When
you get tired of long load times, you switch from .ma to .mb.  If you need a
text version later on, you can still read and write it, even if it's (by
then) a few hundred megabytes in size.

BillyZ is right, though, in that overengineering is the real peril.

-- jm