[ODE] ODE GUI Editor #2...

Ivan Tanev i_tanev at atr.jp
Thu Feb 26 13:46:16 MST 2004

Yes, I completely agree with the opinions about the benefits of using XML. I
just want to add one more:

Considering the description of the artifact (simulated using ODE) as a
morphology, and having this morphology written in XML implies that we are
able to parse and traverse it in a form of, say, DOM-parse tree. And
tree-like structures are quite convenient for implementing genetic
operations - crossover and mutation. My point is: using XML we may have a
format which offers a generic support to automatically *evolvable* (say,
using genetic programming) artifacts' morphology. And the W3C-standard
XML-schema (XSD-file) can be used as an generic way to represent and manage
the syntax constrains imposed to the evolved morphologies in eventual
strongly typed genetic programming. The same is true for the behavior of
artifact too, if the latter is expressed in XML-format. Evolvable rather
than a priori predefined simulated artifacts (and environments) seem to be
feasible not only for exclusively research purposes (evolutionary robotics,
bionics, etc.), but I guess (for example) for creating more unpredictable,
more entertaining games too.

Regards,

Ivan Tanev
i_tanev at atr.jp