[ODE] model exploding upon impact

Nate W coding at natew.com
Mon Feb 23 21:00:48 MST 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, carlo cabanlig wrote:

> Hi, I modified the test chain code that came with ODE to simulate a
> human model falling from a certain height. I am having a problem as to
> the system crashing and/or the model exploding upon impact if I set
> the height too high. Please Help...

Things to try:

make timestep smaller

make CFM larger (0.02 instead of 0.002)

make ERP lower (e.g.  0.8 instead of 1.0) (but this might not help much)

If you want realtime simulation the timestep might not be something you
can adjust, but you might try simulating two timesteps per rendering
frame, with each timestep being half of the actual elapsed time.

I'd almost guarantee that CFM can solve this kind of problem, but you may
end up with a sloppy, squishy, springy simulation by the time you get the
stability you want.  It's an interesting variable to play around with,
though.  I usually make adjustments in orders of magnitude.

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA