[ODE] New Physics SDK released

kronos at mtcelestia.net kronos at mtcelestia.net
Thu Feb 19 06:21:33 MST 2004

> No, we rewrote it.

> My previous solver (http://www.codercorner.com/Rigid.htm) was O(n) but
> needed very small timesteps to be robust (the default mode was 250 Hz). This
> one is O(n) but works with bigger timesteps (default is 60 Hz), so it's
> actually a lot faster.

well, all i saw was the demos, of course i didn't know the internals. my
guesses about the timestep were a result of observing physics taking more time
when framerate was lower (it happens when you switch to wireframe rendering).
in the test case with 210 boxes (the one labeled '400 boxes' :) and a huge ball
physics took roughly 2 times more when framerate dropped from 400+ to around
120, and in the test where a cow was attached to a chain of tori it took
(almost exactly) 3 times more when frame rate went from 1000+ to 160. of
course, it might just be a problem with wireframe rendering and time measuring.