[ODE] SIGSEGV in dSolveLCP() at ode/src/lcp.cpp:1137

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Fri Feb 13 10:06:03 MST 2004

We're getting a bit off-track.

This discussion is simply about macroizing the solver's
alloca() (strictly stack-based) usage to optionally allow
a fake-stack solution for platforms and situations that
want it.  What alloca() gets replaced with is just a detail,
and since it's just a stack it doesn't need the grand unified
theory of memory management overengineering thrown at it.

Abstracting away ALL of ODE's memory management is something
good to work towards, but that's a pretty orthogonal discussion
that doesn't have much bearing on the alloca()-wrapper (the
latter would simply optionally be layered whatever heap
abstraction the app ends up adopting, which in the long
term I think needs more careful ODE-specific analysis w.r.t.
object grouping and lifetime if we're going to see efficiency
wins as well as convenience).

Regards,
--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam at gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
"At this point the rocket becomes engorged with astronauts."