[ODE] Terrain colliders and/or Trimesh/OPCODE

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Feb 8 10:11:45 MST 2004

My preliminary tinkering suggests that TriMesh is actually pretty effective
at representing height-mapped terrain.  I just created a million-quad
(two-million triangle) terrain mesh, and was able to drop objects on it with
no ill effects and no noticeable CPU impact over a two-triangle mesh of
equivalent size.

Of course, it took 20 seconds to construct the mesh on a 3.4 GHz P4, and the
app's memory footprint went up by 100 megabytes, but it didn't crash or
otherwise misbehave.

-- jm