[ODE] ode stability

arcad arcad at orion-mm.ru
Fri Feb 6 17:21:19 MST 2004

Hello ODE,

----- Original Message -----
From: "arcad" <arcad at orion-mm.ru>
To: "DjArcas" <djarcas at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 12:34 PM
Subject: Re[2]: [ODE] ODE stability

> Hello DjArcas,
>
> Thursday, February 05, 2004, 3:55:35 PM, you wrote:
>
> D> It's saying that the size of your bodies should be *about* one, and
that the
> D> density should be *about* one, and that the weight is *about* one...
>
> D> So if you're doing a car game, make your cars 1 unit long, and scale
> D> everything else accordingly (ie a bus would be 4 units long, and a tyre
0.1
> D> units long)
>
> D> You've got quite a lot of leeway, but ODE likes small numbers much more
than
> D> it likes big ones, so a 0.7 (decametre) unit long car is much better
than a
> D> 700 (centimetre) car.

as in this case work collision detection?
> This is because for collision I use TriMesh, which is exported from 3D MAX
with unit - centimetre. Simply divide coordinats vertices of triangle on
ratio?
> I seem that this not faithfully? Is it Beforehand thanked, Arcad.

The easiest way would be to (say) load all your objects in, determine their
mean size and divide them all accordingly. You could simply figure out a
'magic number' - you would want one unit to be closer to 10 metres than 1
cm, so dividing everything by 1000 would do the trick? There should be no
problems with the collision detection.

Adam

Thank you, Adam. Something I not at all understand the your a thought :(
Obviously disturbs language barier.
The Dynamic bodies I can scale as please, but here is TriMesh is not
got. With triangles is going on something incomprehensible, they are displaced unknown where.
And tele are simply ruined drafty floor.

--
Best regards,
 arcad                          mailto:arcad at orion-mm.ru