[ODE] Machine to fast and a possible bug?

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 16 09:53:36 MST 2004

I'm not sure about the bugs, but as for the sphere stacking, I noticed
that just yesterday myself, and my immediate reaction was, cool!

When you look at a stack of spheres that are mathematically positioned
on atop the other, in the absense of wind, imperfections in the spheres
themselves, etc, they would actually stack like that.  I'm impressed
that it works for ode, I expected slight jitters to cause them to fall
over.  Certainly last time I stacked boxes on a trimesh, they jittered
and fell over, which was somewhat disappointing.

Now if you want a system with random jitters, you're in luck.  Try this:
Spawn them slightly off position +-0.0001, give them a tiny bit of
velocity, simulate a subtle wind with a tiny horizontal force, or just
plain poke the contact results a bit, etc.  Or perhaps if ode is too
accurate, introduce an ode patch that adds random noise to each contact? ;-)

Geoff