[ODE] Inverse Kinematics

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Fri Dec 10 14:05:01 MST 2004

Has anyone used ODE for any inverse kinematics?

Here's what I want to do:

This is just to animate arms. I have a program that outputs hand
positions [think "juggling"], and that's it [for right now].

I scale that suitably to the size of my model in a 3d engine [think
"torque"]. Is it possible to use ODE to do the IK for the elbows [the
rest of the animation is mostly moot, for the time being]?

Ideally, what I'd like, is to set up something like:

Consider the [character] body to be body0 in ODE. [ie, the world].
Attach upper arms to that [cylinders] using hinge2 joints. To those,
attach forearms [also cylinders] with hinge joints. Finally, have the
hands [spheres] attached to those using ball & socket joints.

Can I just move the hands to new positions and get ODE to work out
where the elbows should be?

Thank-you very much,
Gary (-;