[ODE] FDir1 and Slip for car wheels

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Dec 9 15:22:43 MST 2004

Yes, I use Ackerman-style steering (that's another good tip I
got off this list and forgot to include in the list of tips).
The actual proportion between inner/outer wheel is tuneable,
rather than being measured/calculated, to allow for various
degrees of toe-in during steering. Applying the same degree of
twist to both wheels would result in negative toe-in while
steering.

However, my point was that the wheel will rotate around its
axis, and thus what's "front" of the wheel body when you set
up your system will very quickly be "down" of the wheel body;
after traveling just 1/4 revolution. Beacuse the wheel has a
contact with the ground, "down" cross "up" would not generate
a useable fdir2, so the fdir1 you supply needs to be something
that's as orthogonal to your contact as possible.

Cheers,

		/ h+