[ODE] Help?? Actuating a ball-and-socket joint with AMotor in User mode

Ivan Velickovic ivanv at elfak.ni.ac.yu
Thu Dec 9 13:08:20 MST 2004

Hi,
My problem may seem trivial to expirienced ODE users but for me it's a
large headache.

I'm trying to convert a robot model given as DH matrix to ODE model.
Primary DH model is built with several sphere joinints with odd axis
orinentation. So I need to use a Ball-And-Socket joint to represent it
with ODE. The problem is actuation of such joints. If I use AMotor, it
need to be engaged in AMotorUser mode. In AMotorUser mode I can't get data
about current motor angle, so seting relative position of actuated bodies
could be pretty comlicated.

Is there an easier way to acomplish this (setting relative position
between bodies connected with Ball joint and AMotor in User mode) but
calculating relative position in each time step from known position in
previous time step and current angular velocities and then reseting new
velocities according to the position error?

A sample code would be nice.

Thanks