[ODE] Very close to solving trimesh problem (Normals question).

cledwith at d-a-s.com cledwith at d-a-s.com
Mon Aug 23 19:09:31 MST 2004

> Two ways:
>
> 1) create your art correctly in the first place

agreed

> 2) for each triangle, add it in both the current winding order, and the
> reverse winding order

Well in my experience, there's quite a problem with this. Anytime I've
ever tried to have a paper-thin trimesh (say I want collision for a
'fence') and add triangles to both sides (same vertex positions, opposite
normals), if any moving body came along and collided with that fence,
during the first timestep, it will be partially intersecting with
triangles on the front and back of the fence. Then the simulator has no
idea how to deal with this condition, and the body is pushed in two
opposite directions at once. This is what happens, so I had to work around
it. This also happens with very thin box geoms. Are you telling me you
have actually gotten this to work correctly, or were you just
hypothesizing? Because in my experience this will just not work, but if it
does, I'd sure like to know about it.

Thanks,
Chris