[ODE] Objects fall through trimesh.

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Sun Aug 22 14:14:05 MST 2004

Do you have actual contacts at the point where you're sinking through?
If so, what is the normal, depth, and force of those contacts?
If not, can you step through to figure out why you don't have the contacts?
Another classic issue with trimeshes is when the winding is different than you expect. Are you drawing with backface culling turned on? If not, turn it on, and make sure everything still looks right.
Last, sometimes you're bitten by things like whether you're supposed to count indices or triangles -- just do a double-check to make sure.

Btw: Tesselating triangles out of a BSP is not so hard if you can deal with re-generated triangle lists. Build a structure of all edges, with pointers to the triangles sharing each edge. Then, sort by length of edge. Start with the longest edge, split it by putting a vertex in the middle, remove the two previous triangles and add the four new you just created. Insert the new triangles/edges into the data structure at the appropriate place. Repeat until the longest edge is shorter than your tolerance.

Cheers,

			/ h+