[ODE] trimesh woes

Ian McMeans imcmeans at telus.net
Fri Aug 20 18:56:05 MST 2004

I'm having some trouble with trimeshes. For the most part, collisions
work - I can see my trimesh object bounce off other objects without a
problem. However, when my trimesh object rests on a box, I can see it
slowly sink into the box, and then all of a sudden it pops out. There is
also a problem where the trimesh object rests slightly above the box,
when no part of appears to be touching.

The problem doesn't occur when I use a box geom instead of a trimesh geom.

At first I thought my physics rate was too slow, but the problem occurs
even at 1000Hz.

So my next assumption was that my trimesh data is bad, so I tried using
the sample tetrahedron from test_trimesh.cpp. However, when I run my
program using that data, the same problem occurs.

So then my assumption was that my version of ODE was compiled
incorrectly, but I had the same problem happen when I ran my program
compiled with the prebuilt versions of ode.lib and ode.dll. For the sake
of completeness, I compiled test_trimesh.cpp with my version of ODE, and
it ran correctly as well.

Does anyone have any advice? I've tried everything I can think of. I
can't see why my program acts so incorrectly.

Ian