[ODE] CULLIDE vs OPCODE

Sam Hale thestormrunner at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 19:22:01 MST 2004

 >Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that why there's all these vector
 >processing extensions in modern consumer CPUs?
 >
 >James

There certainly are such instructions. Unfortunately, the actual number of
math pipelines falls short. Having vector processing instructions and
having the multiple pipelines to use them efficiently are not the same
thing. I believe an AMD Athlon XP has six math pipes, and I can't imagine
an Intel P4 has much more, if any. A CS301 is a good example of what I
would considder a vector processor. Unfortunately, that isn't priced for
consumers, either.

GPU makers like to have press releases about how many vertex, texture, and
lighting pipelines they've put in their latest offerings. As the pipes are
specialized, a GPGPU program probably won't use all of them.

 >True, true...but do you really think Intel isn't just as interested at
providing dual processor machines that can >achieve high througput on the
host in the same time frame?

You mean the $800 per CPU Xeons? :)
The only MP boards in reach of consumers right now are Athlon MP and Apple
dual G5s. There is also the problem that most software is written with a
single thread of execution. Multi-threading is getting more popular, but
not much. Multi-processing apps are even rarer. There is a long standing
industry problem that hardware vendors say there aren't enough SMP capable
apps to warrant wasting money on making companents and software vendors say
there aren't enough SMP rigs out there to warrant wasting money on the
apps. Think chicken-and-egg here.

If I have to hijack a GPU to get a second processor in my machine, I will.
:-P~~

-Sam H